Subject: Re: another lfs deadlock, this time with consequence
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/2006 01:40:48
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:14:26AM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:

> I had another LFS deadlock tonight, but this time I couldn't even run
> 'ps' or anything to see what was going on.

Do you actually mean "deadlock", or do you just mean that your system
froze?

Did you try to enter DDB?

> Upon reboot, fsck failed
> with an unexpected inconsistency.  Well, the unexpected inconsistency
> is that fsck sefaults after phase 6 has completed.  I can mount the
> filesystem and it looks OK, and fsck didn't pick up any errors, but I
> wonder how long this will go on for ...

It is not necessary to run fsck on LFS filesystems at boot time, no
matter how the system was restarted.  In fact, since there's at least
one undiagnosed bug in the roll-forward agent, it may not even be
advisable!

I keep meaning to add an option to fsck_lfs to run everything _but_
pass 6.

Thor