Subject: Re: What to do for a graphical browser in NetBSD???
To: Ulrich Etile <timeox@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2006 14:49:59
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:38:18 +0000, Ulrich Etile <timeox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:36:37 -0800,
> buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org (Brian Buhrow) a =E9crit :
>=20
> > 	Hello.  My wife would like to convert her ancient laptop to
> > NetBSD. Now, I'm looking at the pkgsrc tree, as of 2006Q3, and I see
> > that firefox is in there, but the version is 1.5.0.7,
> > but that this version has several security holes.  What are others
> > doing to get graphical browsers under NetBSD?  Do folks just not use
> > the pkgsrc tree to build a browser, or must I update my pkgsrc tree
> > to the absolutely latest of the moment to get the current firefox
> > browser?
> >=20
> > Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> > -thanks
> > -Brian
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> Your pkgsrc tree is obsolete. Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0 are
> released in the -current tree.
>=20

Right, but he said specifically that he's using 2006Q3.

I don't use that branch, so I can't say for sure -- have you tried doing a
cvs update in that directory?  Security fixes are often (though not
always) pulled up.  (But this is why I don't run the quarterly snapshots.)

If it hasn't been pulled up yet, do a send-pr requesting it.