Subject: Re: What to do for a graphical browser in NetBSD???
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Ulrich Etile <timeox@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2006 20:38:18
Le Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:36:37 -0800,
buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org (Brian Buhrow) a =E9crit :

> 	Hello.  My wife would like to convert her ancient laptop to
> NetBSD. Now, I'm looking at the pkgsrc tree, as of 2006Q3, and I see
> that firefox is in there, but the version is 1.5.0.7,
> but that this version has several security holes.  What are others
> doing to get graphical browsers under NetBSD?  Do folks just not use
> the pkgsrc tree to build a browser, or must I update my pkgsrc tree
> to the absolutely latest of the moment to get the current firefox
> browser?
>=20
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> -thanks
> -Brian

Hello,

Your pkgsrc tree is obsolete. Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0 are
released in the -current tree.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/www/firefox/README.html

You should update pkgsrc/www/firefox from your pkgsrc tree by cvs.

However, if you don't want to compile Firefox you can use firefox-bin
package which is the version linux of firefox.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/www/firefox-bin/README.html

--
--- Ulrich