Subject: Re: Socket Dual Serial Port PCMCIA Card wouldn't work
To: Bernd Ernesti <veego@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Niendorf <joerg.bsd@internode.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/2006 20:54:01
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your mail!

I made a mistake by sending this to the bugs mailing list and
subsequently started a new thread on netbsd-users@netbsd.org. On the
netbsd-users mailing list, Christos sent me some diffs that do basically
the same things you suggested. After applying those diffs, pcmcom got
attached to pcmcia and com2 to pcmcom. That looked promising, but com2
was still not usable.

Please also refer to these mails:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/11/10/0002.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/11/11/0001.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/11/11/0004.html

> What do you mean with 'no' serial ports are available?
> Your dmesg output says that at least one port is available:

I should have put that differently: There were no _functional_ serial
ports available.

> Btw I think you don't have the 'normal' rs232 card. There are two
> type of cards, one is the normal one and the other is a highspeed
> card.

Yes, you're right. I have the "High Speed" version, but I wasn't aware
of this initially. I thought there was only one type and that my card
was just a newer revision. (The part number of my card is 8510-00054
and the revision is 'M'.)

> Let me know if this works.

Unfortunately not. I would be more than happy to test further diffs,
but as Christos already indicated, working on a driver without specs
or another open source driver would probably be a futile exercise.

Cheers,
Joerg