Subject: Re: NetBSD on Asus F2F Laptop partial success
To: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2006 18:51:23
On 11/12/06, Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de> wrote:
> Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>
> > I had started an earlier thread about my HP nx6310, which is fairly
> > close to the F2F (broadcom instead of realtek for wired network, no
> > fingerprint reader, cardbus instead of expresscard).
>
> I looked at it, but it doesn't really apply to the problems I have.

I realized that, but thought that it might be of some use.

> >> USB works a bit flaky. It sometimes works on boot and sometimes it
> >> doesn't.
> >> Rebooting usually makes it work. This seems to be random, maybe a race
> >> condition somewhere.
> >
> > I have had similar problems a few times with mine, always after a warm
> > reboot after Windows/XP. It's even weirder with the Broadcom ethernet
> > - when I shut Windows down, even completely, as long as the power
> > supply is connected, it never turns off the green light of the network
> > card, even if I disconnect the cable.

The previous reply to this thread correctly suggested that I might be
having LAN wakeup set up in the BIOS; I will test tomorrow if the
Ethernet works always after I turned this off.

> I'm now inclined to say that it only happens on a cold boot. But sometimes
> it works even then. Windows is probably not involved, since it also happens
> when NetBSD (with working USB) was running previously.
>
> Warm reboots from Windows don't seem to make a difference. Ethernet always
> works.

I haven't had much problems with RealTek, even if the word by people
more knowledgeable than me have said that they are not optimal,
aspecially for server use.

> >> The ExpressCard slot is untested because I don't have such cards.
> >
> > My understanding is that these are either connected to a USB2 hub, or
> > directly to the PCI-Express bus. That's probably normal if it is the
> > latter; it should show up if it's former.
>
> It would probably only show up if a card using the USB method is inserted.
> It surely uses one of the normal USB ports that did already show up.
>
> BTW there are more ports reported than there are external connectors and
> internal devices.

From my dmesg.boot:
uhub4: Intel EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1

Certainly nothing like eight ports or even internal devices - just the
BlueTooth is connected through it internally.

> >> There's also a reader for memory cards. It's said to be PCI connected,
> >> but I didn't see it show up anywhere, even under Windows.
> >
> > ?
>
> It reads those SecureDigital, MemoryStick and some others found in digital
> cameras and other devices. It does not read CompactFlash, which is the only
> one that would be useful for me at the moment.
>
> >> Suspend/Hibernate isn't tested yet.
> >
> > I tried it once, it wen down, but couldn't come back, so I have so far
> > abandoned the attempts.
>
> How did you make it useable again when it didn't come back?

Just hard reset - fsck &c. I've meant to try this again sometimes.

> > My other gripe is that I can't get -current to work with the disk
> > controller in native SATA mode. Both FreeBSD 6.2Beta2 and
> > OpenBSD-current from 30/10/2006 deal with it properly, whereas for
> > NetBSD I had to switch to compatible mode. The SATA controller is not
> > recognized when in AHCI mode. This leads to some 5-8% decrease in disk
> > i/o benchmarks under Windows, and presumably under NetBSD... It can't
> > be that hard to get the driver from OpenBSD, but who am I to know...
>
> In the other thread you said that the compatible mode would be faster. Is
> that still true?

That was strange. My first test under XP using HDTach gave about
10-15% better results using compat mode than native; that was when I
posted the above. Subsequently all further benchmarks gave about 5-7%
better result using native SATA. I have no explanation - I have done
defrag and the rest. Actually I was never able to reach the best
figure obtained when the system was setup for compat mode at the
start.

> It also uses the compatible mode here, but I haven't seen an option to
> change that.

It's in the BIOS settings of mine - which are otherwise quite limited.

> Bye, Chris

Cheers,
Chavdar