Subject: Re: Massive lossage with -current as of tonight?
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/2006 07:24:49
Scott Ellis wrote:
>> I'm seeing significant problems with -current as of this evening.
> [snip]
>
> Well, after cvs updating and doing a complete rebuild (so using -current
> as of ~10pm PST Nov 3rd), I get the same behavior as before: Various
> programs appear to hang when booting multi-user.
[snip]

The sshd problem turns out to be a missing openlog_r():

"/usr/lib/libssh.so.5: Undefined PLT symbol \"openlog_r\" (symnum = 321\
         )"

Makes perfect sense since I had to revert to libc.so.12.147, which is
prior to the whole _r/_ss thrash.

Looking into why pam_start suddenly started failing, a ktrace of "login
foobar" under single user shows:

    218      1 login    CALL  __socket30(1,2,0)
    218      1 login    RET   __socket30 4
    218      1 login    CALL  fcntl(4,2,1)
    218      1 login    RET   fcntl 0
    218      1 login    CALL  connect(4,0x7f7ffd7ed7e0,0xe)
    218      1 login    NAMI  "/var/run/log"
    218      1 login    RET   connect -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
    218      1 login    CALL  close(4)
    218      1 login    RET   close 0
    218      1 login    CALL  sendto(0xffffffff,0x7f7fffffd860,0x4e,0,0,0)
    218      1 login    RET   sendto -1 errno 9 Bad file descriptor
    218      1 login    CALL  close(0xffffffff)
    218      1 login    RET   close -1 errno 9 Bad file descriptor

This doesn't make much sense since /var/run/log is a socket that looks
to have been newly created.  Perhaps this is fallout of using an old
libc as well, w/o all the syslog changes.

I've nuked my source, and re-checked it out via CVS, to see if a totally
fresh build will change things.

Is really nobody else seeing this with a kernel and userland from Nov 2nd+?

	ScottE