Subject: Re: puffs - Pass-to-Userspace Framework File System
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2006 19:10:15
On Thu Oct 26 2006 at 16:29:10 +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> Hej Antti,
>
> I tried puffs and played around with dtfs. I extracted base.tgz.
> It took 53s on contrast to 8s on tmpfs. It seems a bit slow, but

Well, heh, puffs is not really meant to compete with tmpfs on any level.
I was citing some performance figures just so that people would realize
that implementing a file system in userspace is not going to make it
dog slow, just somewhat slower.

> it can do union_mount's, what makes it very interesting for LiveCDs,
> that could be mounted rw. Tmpfs can't do that (yet.)
>
> # mount
> /dev/wd0a on / type lfs (local)
> ptyfs on /dev/pts type ptyfs (local)
> tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (local)
> puffs:dt on /mnt/ type puffs
> <above>:/usr/src on /mnt type union

Wow, you're really really brave.  I can't even start to imagine all the
ways you'll be able to shoot yourself in the foot with that.  But I'm
glad to hear it works.

Though, if all you want is "writable cd", I'd go for fixing tmpfs + union.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/