Subject: Re: Default 'login.conf' in new installs?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2006 15:22:34
In message <20061011201611.GA5219@jodi.nimenees.com>, Eric Haszlakiewicz writes
:
>That only helps if you know to look there.  The whole point of the
>proposed change is to make it easier for someone who doesn't necessarily
>know about login.conf to discover that it exists.
>
>It would make more sense to do something similar to how pkgsrc handles
>config files:
>	1) put an example in /usr/share/examples
>	2) if nothing exists in /etc, put a copy there ALSO.
>	3) on delete/upgrade, remove/update from /etc if the file isn't changed.

That was about what I was thinking; on new installs, I'd like to have it just
put in automatically.

This leads to a question:  How should the limits be set?  Obviously, limits
are somewhat per-platform; a reasonable daemon limit for datasize might be
256MB on x86_64 systems.  It might not be on sun3.

-s