Subject: Re: Looking for HowTo instructions ...
To: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org>
From: Ian Darwin <ian@darwinsys.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2006 21:48:14
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Can someone that has installed BSDstats on your server please email me
> instructions on *how* to install it for your flavor of BSD?

I haven't, yet, I keep hoping somebody will package it as an OpenBSD
"port" and save me the trouble of figuring out how to set it up (this
would also save you the trouble of documenting it).

I do not
> believe that [...] OpenBSD [...] has a 'periodic' system similar to
> FreeBSDs,

Not sure what you mean by "a periodic system" but all unixes have 'cron'
as a standard feature, and the canonical entry for monthly use is smth like:

30      5       1       *       *       /bin/sh /etc/monthly 2>&1 | tee
/var/log/monthly.out | mail -s "`/bin/hostname` monthly output" root

In fact, that's already installed by default, so you could just put an
entry in /etc/monthly, at least on OpenBSD.

and would like to put something up on the site explaining how