Subject: Re: Linking against Linux binary modules
To: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2006 08:21:44
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:01:11PM +0000, Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >How, for example, do you intend to solve the problem that many functions
> >in the C library in Linux have the same name, but different signatures
> >than their NetBSD counterparts?
>
> Have them linked to Linux emu libc etc in a separate namespace?

Well, that works great -- until you think about it a little.  Function calls
resolving into the Linux libc are going to result in Linux system calls any
time they try to use kernel services (e.g. do I/O, e.g. print something); but
function calls resolving into the NetBSD libc will result in NetBSD system
calls.  How, exactly, is the kernel supposed to decide which emulation to
apply to a system call issued by the resulting process?

Thor