Subject: Re: Linking against Linux binary modules
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2006 15:33:40
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:42:47 -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:

> 	Hello.  I have been a NetBSD user for many years, and all of my
> Unixish machines are now running NetBSD of one version or another.  I now
> find I may have to write an application wich links against some
> Linux-binary-only libraries.  In the past, when I've tried to do this, I've
> found that ld complains and I've not been able to compile NetBSD-native
> programs linked against Linux-binary modules.  In the past, I was able to
> find work arounds, but this time, I may be unable to use those same
> options.  So, my question for the group is, is there a way to link NetBSD
> object files against Linux-binary objects, assuming the underlying machine
> architectures are the same?  For example, in this case, using I386 Linux
> library files against NetBSD native objects?

The idea has been discussed internally between few developers, but no
actual design or coding has been done. The first step would be to
teach ld.so to load linux dsos - that will be useful by itself as that
will make it possible to use linux web-browser plugins with natively
compiled netbsd browsers.

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen