Subject: Re: Broadcom 32-bit MIPS (was Re: Useability of NFS over USB disks)
To: Martijn van Buul <pino+gmane_os_netbsd_current@dohd.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2006 08:40:19
Martijn van Buul wrote:
> It occurred to me that Garrett D'Amore wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
>
>> Porting NetBSD would probably be a small effort.  Including support for
>> borgcom wifi in said port would notably _not_ be a small effort.
>>

> That's not the only caveat. Another issue is the built-in switch; these
> routers all use a 5+1 port VLAN-tagging switch to separate the "WAN" ports
> from the "LAN" ports, which is connected to a single NIC on the CPU. While
> this NIC is probably supported already, our driver doesn't support VLAN
> tagging, and to make things worse the configuration of said switch is
> undocumented. As far as I know, the bootstrap firmware isolates all switch
> ports on powerup.

That particular problem is probably solveable.  Not trivially, but not
tremendously painful either.  We have source for some of this stuff,
such as the Marvell switch (mvphy) already.  I have sources for Linux
for a few other variants...

> That said, rumour has it that the *wrt people have reverse-engineered some
> of this.

Or have access to sources provided by others.  :-)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191