Subject: Re: Broadcom 32-bit MIPS (was Re: Useability of NFS over USB disks)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2006 07:16:30
It occurred to me that Garrett D'Amore wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> Porting NetBSD would probably be a small effort.  Including support for
> borgcom wifi in said port would notably _not_ be a small effort.

That's not the only caveat. Another issue is the built-in switch; these
routers all use a 5+1 port VLAN-tagging switch to separate the "WAN" ports
from the "LAN" ports, which is connected to a single NIC on the CPU. While
this NIC is probably supported already, our driver doesn't support VLAN
tagging, and to make things worse the configuration of said switch is
undocumented. As far as I know, the bootstrap firmware isolates all switch
ports on powerup.

That said, rumour has it that the *wrt people have reverse-engineered some
of this.

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333