Subject: Re: wedges and what does that mean?
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2006 10:43:28
--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:58:54AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:31:08AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > The up-shot is that we need a way to rename and re-minor-number devices=
.=20
> > Combine that with a daemon that keeps state in userland, and we force=
=20
> > wedges to come back with the same minor # as before.
>=20
> The point is, we don't have such thing yet. Shouldn't we delay migrating
> to wedges?

No, as we'll never get it if we keep delaying.

> Also, is it necessary to have such thing in userland? Isn't the GPT format
> rich enough to keep this state (maybe even with permissions and ownership
> for dynamic /dev) on disk?

I'm not sure about GPT storing all of this info. But GPT isn't the only=20
partitioning scheme that will turn into wedges. EVERY partitioning scheme=
=20
we know about will generate wedges. disklabeled disks aren't going away,=20
and MBR disks will be here for quite some time.

Take care,

Bill

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr--