Subject: ISC dhcpd fails to work for LIBSA DHCP request
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/2006 08:30:12
We are experiencing LIBSA network boot code fails to work
with a certain ISC DHCP server.  In specific, the newer
DHCP server does not work for network boot code while
older keeps serving well.  Detailed frame analysis shows
that older ISC DHCP server sends the different reply
from the newer one which looks broken somehow
(inconsistent length values found among UDP header field
and DHCP reply frame itself).

/// Good case ///
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc11
Copyright 1995-2003 Internet Software Consortium.

/// Bad case ///
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
... LIBSA network boot code keeps complaining erroneous reply ...

Either DHCP server running on NetBSD or Linux shows
the very same trouble.  Are anyone out there experiencing
this symptom?  Our solution was to back-date DHCP server
to older one.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology