Subject: Re: wedges and what does that mean?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2006 15:28:45
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:31:08AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> The up-shot is that we need a way to rename and re-minor-number devices.
> Combine that with a daemon that keeps state in userland, and we force
> wedges to come back with the same minor # as before.

Yes, but the plain fact remains that until we have such a thing, switching
to wedges runs a significant risk of making one's NFS file server not work
(except under the silly assumption that it will remain up forever).

This is a major regression.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart