Subject: Re: wedges and what does that mean?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2006 14:31:33
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 01:58:31PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Are wedges just partitions with another name, or is there really a
> difference?

A wedge is a partition, but without the implicit reference to a disklabel
that currently partitions have in our kernel.

>  Is the information about wedges not stored on the disk? How
> do you find them in that case?

Yes, it might be stored on the disk the wedge belongs to, in various
formats. It may be stored in a file on another disk too, or not at all.
In the first case the auto detect methods can find it, in the latter two
they can't, obviously. Userland tools, rc scripts, or the user manually
would need to create them, in that cases.

Martin