Subject: Re: ZFS
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2006 11:45:37
thus Bill Studenmund spake:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 03:17:15PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>> (...)
>>> I don't see a "discussion" happening here - you are just trying to
>>> belittle and shout people down,
>> i) i'm not shouting anybody down (makes me interested in your definition
>> of 'shouting' or 'shouting down'), ii) people != you, plurar vs. singular.
>
> It sure seems you are. Your response to disagreement is to continue
> speaking forcefully

sure. i do have my opinion (here: wrt blobs).

there are dozens, if not hundreds of subscribers of the mailing list
that obviously inherently agree with blobs being evil. otherwise they
would respond (even if it'd be only a fraction of them, you could see
some emails) to this thread.

the topic is a crucial one to the dying or already dead NBP.

> Your reactions seem to indicate that folks just don't
> understand the issue.

no, not folks. is there no singular/plural left in the english language
nowadays??

the point is that mr. lymn permanently introduces wrong analogies -- WTF
does gaming on Linux have to do with blobs on NetBSD? nothing. if
someone uses blobs on Linux to get game X, Y or Z running on their
SupaDupa 128 XXXtreme gfx card, then well, it's primarily their problem.
and a growing problem of their community: once delivered as a blob,
always delivered as a blob.

mr. lymn puts analogies into the thread that are just superlame and lack
any meaning. i could say 'my jeans is blue', he'd respong 'wrong! in
brazil the snow falls upwards, and it's warm snow!'.

> We do understand the issue.

it's funny that you as a single person speaks for the whole project,
even as you're developer. but there's not 'on behalf of the NetBSD team'
disclaimer on your header or footer, a bit of megalomania...

> We just disageee with you about the
> significance and the trade-offs of accepting blob drivers.

who is 'we'? all the guys listed here, without exception:

http://netbsd.org/People/developers.html

?

if so, no wonder NetBSD is dead.

if so, *we*'ll take our consequences. as a company.

> Take care,
>
> Bill

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

Frankie says: Relax