Subject: Re: Versioning filesystem in NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2006 09:33:15
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, jeremias@optushome.com.au wrote:
> >>Does anyone know of a versioning filessytem that is supported in netbsd?

You didn't explain what you meant by "a versioning filesystem", but
after a few messages in the thread, I think I have a rough idea.

> When I used VMS, the copy on write policy seemed to be exactly what I liked
> (and missed since then).
>
> CVS subversion etc, are all depending on the user to save the version.

You could probably build something using portalfs as a front end, and
webdav or subversion as a back end; you could even make semicolons
behave in a VMSish way.  Also, if you find anything using the Linux
"FUSE" user-space file system framework, it might make sense to adapt it
to portalfs.

--apb (Alan Barrett)