Subject: Re: ZFS
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/2006 20:30:41
Mark Weinem wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> The Board, or those it authorizes, can speak for NetBSD. Nobody else
>> can,
>> and if someone else claims to be doing so, that person is probably
>> full of
>> crap.  It can be helpful to keep that in mind.
>>
>> Thor
>>
> This was no authorized statement just a guess, sorry for the annoyance!
> The person was not sure about the official NetBSD "directive"
> concerning CDDL.
>
> So are there any known positions of the Board or of NetBSD-authorities
> regarding
> the CDDL? Is SUN's open source license okay with NetBSD?
>
> Kind regards, Mark

I don't know what the official policy is, but as much as I hate to say
it, I think for the same reasons that we reject GPL for most things we
should reject CDDL (or at least try to stay away from it.)  Don't get me
wrong, I love CDDL for Solaris (and I release code under it), but it is
nothing quite so liberal as the BSD license.  (At least it drops the
viral nature of GPL, but it still creates a need to release source if
you ship modified binaries.)

I would therefore recommend avoiding the use of the CDDL by NetBSD
whenever possible.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191