Subject: Very confusing sysinst
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/2006 15:51:00
Hi,

I just tried to install a new amd64 system and was very confused
at the window where the current mbr partition table is shown.

First it looked like a disklabel output, but a: was allocated
by the primary windows partition and b: by the extended one.
Then there were two empty ones (c and d) and then two logical
drives from inside the extended parition.

   Start( MB)	Size( MB) Flg	Kind		Bootmenu
a:	    0	 20481	  a	NTFS
b:	20481	162478		Extended partition
c:				unused
d:				unused
e:	20481	 20481		NTFS
f:	40962	141997		NTFS

This is NOT a good idea to use letters here. And there is nothing
which explains that the e and f 'partitions' are from inside the
extended parition from 'b'.

Then it took me a moment to realize that this is not a disklabel
and that I have to select one of the c or d 'partition' and press
enter to change the type.

I though I had to only press 'I' to install NetBSD there, because
this is what was shown on that screen:

 Flgs: a => Active partition, d => bootselect default, I => Install here.
 Select the partition you wish to change:

IMHO this should be changed to something like that:
 Select the partition you wish to change and press enter to modify
 this entry:

Bernd