Subject: BCM5721KFB support in bge
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/2006 16:41:35
I am trying to get an opteron machine configured.  Its network
interface is a Broadcom BCM5721KFB.  The interface will configure
correctly, but no packets are generated on the network.

Looking in sys/dev/pci/if_bge.c I find various notes about problems
with the handling of the 5721 chip.  For example:

	/*
	 * XXX: how to handle variants based on 5750 and derivatives:
	 * 5750 5751, 5721, possibly 5714, 5752, and 5708?, which
	 * in general behave like a 5705, except with additional quirks.
	 * This driver's current handling of the 5721 is wrong;
	 * how we map ASIC revision to "quirks" needs more thought.
	 * (defined here until the thought is done).
	 */

	/*
	 * XXX jonathan@NetBSD.org:
	 * This clause is exactly what the Broadcom-supplied
	 * Linux does; but given overall register programming
	 * by if_bge(4), this larger DMA-write watermark
	 * value causes bcm5721 chips to totally wedge.
	 */

Is there anyone who would be willing to assist in fixing these
problems?  Apparently, the system will work with Slax, a livecd based
on slackware, so the hardware works and some information is
available.

I am able to build and test kernels and possibly even give direct
terminal access to the machine.  However, I lack the technical
expertise to fix the bge driver.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Brook

P.S. Should this be sent to tech-kern or tech-net instead?