Subject: netstat -m shows lots of calls to protocol drain routines
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2006 13:05:05
	Hello.  I have a number of machines running NetBSD-3.0/i386 in
production.  On most of them, the ethernet interface is an Intel variant
supported by the fxp(4) driver.  Everything is working fine, but on a few
machines, the number of calls to protocol drain routines as reported by
netstat -m increments fairly rapidly.
	I'm wondering what this  number means in the first place, and if it
indicates a resource shortage that I should attempt to correct.  Everything
appears to be working without a problem, but since I don't understand what
this statistic indicates, I'm a bit nervous.
	Could someone explain what this number means, and indicate whether or
not I should be alarmed?
-thanks
-Brian