Subject: Re: What's in my swap
To: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2006 12:31:16
On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:39:46PM +0800, Joseph A. Dacuma wrote:

> > Indeed.  What you see is what has ever been in swap but has not been
> > overwritten yet.
> >
> > What frightened me is that this command worked for my regular non-root
> > user
> > as well, because it's in the "operator" group.  I have all console users
> > in
> > the operator group so they can use the shutdown(8) command, mount floppy
> > and CD-ROM devices, ..., but this now seems to be a security issue.
> >
> > 	Geert
> >
> Hi Mr. Hendrickx!
>
> Thanks for your reply. Its scary specially for sites requiring ultra
> secure implementations. Good thing there is CGD. :)

You should understand what CGD protects you from and what not.  CGD will
make it impossible for someone who steals your hard disk to read the
contents of encrypted partitions/filesystems.  However your own kernel must
know how to read it and once it's configured with the proper key (through
cgdconfig or automatically at boot-time), operator-users can read the
contents of the /dev/cgd0* devices as if they were ordinary disk devices,
since those are also group-readable for the operator group.  So CGD will
not solve this particular problem.

Simply chmod(1)'ing the devices to 700 however will solve the problem.

	Geert