Subject: Re: file handles are opaque to userland now
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/2006 00:30:11
On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 06:47:05PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> For the record: this (and the previous getfh changes) are the first time that
> we change existing syscalls (by changing their parameters), instead of just
> adding new, fixed ones.

It was pointed out to me that this could be easily misunderstood: we broke
the source code API of the syscalls, but of course (this is NetBSD!) not the
binary compatibility.

Kernels with options COMPAT_30 still provide the old syscalls, and libc has
compatibility hooks to map the old API to the new one - but we do not provide
access to that via public header files, so all code using getfh(), fhopen(),
fhstat(), fhstatvfs() or fhstatvfs1() needs to be adopted.

There is not a lot third party code out there that uses this calls, and the
calls are not covered by any standards, so we felt breaking the API to be
acceptable. This is not meant to set a precedent though.

Martin