Subject: momentary freezes in -current
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/2006 13:16:30
I'm setting up this SMP amd64 system, now running the i386 port, -current
kernel and binaries built yesterday.

I have a large raidframe "disk" (raid1, two SATA disks).  I used tar
to archive some 30 GB of files into a partition (no softdep) on the
raid disk.  The source files were read over NFS.  Nothing else (but
systat) was running on the system.

A few times during the copy, the system froze completely and then
woke up again.  When this happens, the system does not respond to
ping, it doesn't update the systat display or do anything visible.
During the copy, over 40 ping packets were lost.

Once, systat compalined something about a dead timer and using another
one (I couldn't save the message).

I have seen pauses like this on my single-CPU i386 system running 2.0
without raidframe, so this is not a new problem.  I'll try to do more
testing when I get back to the new machine (it's kind of slow over
GPRS).

  -jm