Subject: directory-scanning in linux emulation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2006 23:36:09
When running firefox-linux (though I've heard the problem also happens
with gaim), it doesn't DTRT in the dialog box for selecting an application
to handle a particular file.  In particular, it seems to show only the
Linux emulation tree, rather than the whole system; this in turn means
that things in /usr/pkg/bin -- a likely source -- aren't visible.

I believe it's an interaction between our Linux emulation and recent
suse_gtk2-10.0 stuff, because the bug is new.  I've seen this on
3.0, 3.0.1, and -current.

As a bypass, I can create a directory /emul/linux/usr/foo, and create
hard links in it to the proper applications.  That works, but it's ugly.