Subject: powernow or such available for Athlon64 on NetBSD ?
To: NetBSD/current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: None <joel@carnat.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2006 23:51:21
Hi,

I tried to read as much a possible before asking here...
Does NetBSD support PowerNow or Cool'n'Quiet for Athlon64 chips ?

I tried GENERIC, GENERIC-laptop and GENERIC.MPACPI from 3.0 and -HEAD
(3.99.21) and none refer to this feature when I boot :(

I've tested my hardware with slackware Linux (10.2) and OpenBSD 3.9 ; they
both have this feature - so my hardware is powernow enable :)
And the cpu speed does seem to be reduceable (as I notice my box was
cooler after a few hours running the two above OS than it is usualy).

According to OpenBSD (which I expect to be the closest to NetBSD), my CPU is:
cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class, 1024KB
L2 cache) 2.01 GHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2
cpu0: AMD Powernow: TS FID VID TTP
cpu0: AMD Cool`n'Quiet K8 available states (24800,44500,49500)

which looks the same to what I saw (except the powernow/cool'n'quiet part
;) booting NetBSD.
under OpenBSD I saw
# sysctl hw.cpuspeed hw.setperf
hw.cpuspeed=2010
hw.setperf=100

but nothing under NetBSD.

so... did I look so hard I'm just blind now ?
is there a hidden option in NetBSD's kernel that enables this (POWERNOW_K7
is in GENERIC-laptop, right ?) ?
or isn't it just there yet.

TIA,
	Jo