Subject: surprisingly stable LFS
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/2006 16:30:21
Hello List,

I've been testing the LFS (Log-Structured Filesystem)  the last few
days and was surprised about the stability. At first I tested it in a
virtual environment and later on installed it on my notebook (both
i386).
All I can say is, it works pretty well. I did a couple of build
release tests on an LFS partition and did also a lot of extracting,
deleting, touching, mkdir loops. I also tried to force a panic using a
full LFS partition including the 10% minfree space, without any
success.
It seems for me, that LFS is currently working pretty well and I would
recommend it for experimental Desktop use.

Give it a shot.

During this testing phase I recovered that it isn't possible to create
LFS Partitions using Sysinst. You can choose LFS Partitions, but you
cannot create'em.
Systinst just stopps with an error message (Missing Files). This is
very unfortunate, especially if you are trying to install on a
Notebook with a second OS and the bootloader should be written.

It is also not possible to create an LFS root partition, because of
the missing bootcode.  At least it appears an error message not
stopping the whole installation procedure, like mentioned above.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents.
Good job Konrad.

Cheers, Zafer.