Subject: Re: Call for testers: i386 ACPI suspend/resume support
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/2006 09:55:31
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Resume didn't work properly on a Thinkpad T42, though that may be because
> I guessed at the bridge driver -- I used
>
> 	 piixpcib* at pci? dev ? function ?
>
> (but how can I tell?)

Intel PIIX4 chipsets need piixpcib; Intel ICH series chipsets need
ichlpcib -- judging by your dmesg you need the latter.

> Anyway -- the suspend worked.  On resume, the display backlight didn't
> come on.  I was going to try using 'xset' to turn it on, but the network
> didn't come back, either.
>
> The machine did resume, though, and since I had fired up powerd I was able
> to shut down cleanly via the power button.
>
> You can see the wm0 error messages in the attached dmesg.  Note also the
>
> 	Jun 18 00:18:39 berkshire /netbsd: WARNING: Callback scheduled
> before sysmon task queue thread present.

This is normal, do not worry about it.

> at boot time and these errors at resume:
>
> Jun 18 00:22:23 berkshire /netbsd: ACPI Error (utmutex-0417): Mutex [8] is
> not acquired, cannot release [20060217] Jun 18 00:22:23 berkshire /netbsd:

You are not running the latest versions of code in arch/i386/acpi. Please
update and try again.

> uhci0: cannot start Jun 18 00:22:23 berkshire /netbsd: uhci1: cannot start
> Jun 18 00:22:23 berkshire /netbsd: uhci2: cannot start
> Jun 18 00:22:23 berkshire /netbsd: ehci0: config timeout

The proper PCI-ISA bridge driver *should* resolve this -- their powerhooks
are required to setup interrupt routing on resume.

Cheers,
Jared