Subject: Re: ntpd fails to establish connection with server
To: Frank Kardel <kardel@netbsd.org>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2006 08:06:49
On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:52, you wrote:

> >iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >        ssid fesk nwkey *****
> >        powersave off
> >        address: 00:0e:35:38:b0:33
> >        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
> >        status: no network
> >        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>
>                             ^^^^^^ thats most unusual and could be very
> well the culprit.
> 0.0.0.0 is not a valid IP address as it is used for IN_ADDRANY.
> please pick a real one. or do "ifconfig iwi0 0.0.0.0 delete"

That was it.  Deleting the zero address on the unused interface makes ntpd
work.

This, however, begs the question what to do about network interfaces that are
not being used.  The above interface configuration is the result of a
standard boot sequence that uses dhclient.  I suppose I could put something
in rc.local to reconfigure unused interfaces, but is seems to me that the
regular boot sequence ought to handle this more gracefully.

Thanks,

Sverre