Subject: Re: Filesystem using tags, not folders?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2006 18:07:11
On 6/12/06, Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@xtrmntr.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:43:33AM -0400, oliver gould wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:18:46, Chris Tribo wrote:
> > > There's also Apple's SpotLight API which accomplishes nearly the
> > > same  thing without adding much more complexity to the file system
> > > code.
> >
> > And, while we're at it, (the mythical) WinFS is based on a relational
> > database that could presumably be queried as such - due out sometime
> > this millennium.
>
> see also BFS (the Be File System, from BeOS), its support for indexing
> and query interface:
>
>  http://www.letterp.com/~dbg/practical-file-system-design.pdf

Hmm, that's at least one interesting feature in BeOS. I always
wondered why yet another OS.

It looks like thier attributes are something a bit different. They use
them to store things like mime types and icons, and the filesystem can
index integer attributes.
So if you store email message priority as an integer atrribute the fs
can index your emails by priority. Not bad. But not yet powerful
enough.

Thanks

Michal