Subject: Re: "sendmail" configuration file issue should be fixed
To: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/2006 18:54:44
In a way, I would agree. But if someone now have been used to using
NetBSD base for a long time, he has definitely used sendmail for a long
time, and suddenly it will be gone.
So, if he needs a tool, he should make sure it is installed by himself,
since base have suddenly decided to move.
Since that seems to be acceptable, I would say that if someone wants to
use something, and depend on it, he should install it himself.

"If we move such a vital servier out of the base system...".
Well, we just did. Sendmail have been there since day one, and now it's
gone.
Replacing it with postfix is not an invisible upgrade to people who
actually care to configure such things.

So, why have a mail daemon at all in the base? Just to deliver the
results of /etc/{daily,weekly,monthly,security} to a local root?
As I said before, that we can do in a simpler way.

	Johnny