Subject: Re: "sendmail" configuration file issue should be fixed
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2006 22:55:35
/etc/security et.al. could probably be solved in any number of ways that
didn't depend on some mail daemon functionality.
Why not have a simple sendmail lookalike that just appends the output in
the proper format to /var/mail/root unless some real mail daemon exist,
for instance?

Sure, postfix currently is the name of the game, it seems. But so was
sendmail for a number of years. Obviously, postfix can go the same way.
So if you really want to use postfix, I'd definitely recommend anyone to
install it themself from pkgsrc, so they don't get bitten the same way
people who used to use sendmail just got bitten.

Why do we really need a mail daemon in the base system? Just for a few
scripts to deliver reports? If so, then it is obviously overkill. That
functionality can easily be solved in simpler way. How do people read
these reports? Either locally, using mail(1), in which case they are
just accessing a local mail file, and everything can be done simpler, or
they forward the mail somewhere which means they have to setup a
configuration to deliver mail somewhere, possibly involving
certificates, and all kind of fiddling. But in that case they have a
system up and running with a network, and then they might as well
install their preferred mail daemon from the network anyway.

So why have a mail daemon in the base system? I can't really see the
point. Especially when it might change from one day to the next. People
simply cannot depend on that item being there and stable, so if they in
fact need a mail daemon, they should just install it themself.
And if they don't need a mail daemon, the few things inside the system
should definitely be able to live without one.

Just my $.02

	Johnny