Subject: Re: Creating bootable CDs as part of the release process
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2006 20:45:40
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:26:45 +0200 (CEST), Hubert Feyrer
<hubertf@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> As outlined in [1], I have added code to NetBSD-current last week to also
> build bootable kernel-only ISOs as part of the NetBSD 'build.sh release'
> process. In addition to the floppy images with integrated ramdisks,
> the same kernels are now also available in ISO format for easier testing.

Thanks you -- a very useful step.  Just to be clear -- 'build.sh release'
for these platforms will automatically build the .iso files if mkisofs
exists?  There's no need to use 'build.sh iso-image'?

Let me make a suggestion: provide some mechanism for user additions to the
generated .iso file.  My personal BUILDCD script includes tarballs
of /usr/src and /usr/xsrc on the CD -- they fit, and they're useful when
I'm installing -current snapshots of random vintages.  Other people may
want to include other things, such as their favorite collection of binary
packages.