Subject: Sendmail removal fallout: server won't boot after upgrade
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2006 09:56:35
Hi,

This is perhaps a minor issue, but it may be of interest for people doing
remote upgrades (like I did).

With sources from the morning (US time) of 31 May, I performed an upgrade from
current as of late March.  The computer was running sendmail.

After building, I did

	./build.sh -T ./tooldir install=/
	etcupdate -a  (including removing uid and gid 17),

ran the postinstall command as requested by etcupdate, and removed the
sendmail queue directory.

I then rebooted the machine.

After hooking up a console, I observed a steady stream of messages like:

postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/50007.96: No such
file or directory

A control-C allowed the boot to continue and a subsequent reboot worked fine.
Perhaps postfix fixed the permissions on the postdrop command or the maildrop
directory.

Sverre