Subject: Re: netstat problem with ksyms.
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2006 23:31:17
On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 09:39:54PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> On 5/27/06, Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org> wrote:
> >Thanks. Did it work before? Or is it your first kernel built with
> >MULTIBOOT?

Please, please, could you answer this question?

> >Another question, do you use grub from pkgsrc? Which version?
> >
> >BTW I think grub should be able to (somehow) boot a kernel without
> >MULTIBOOT.
>
> Well, Quentin's remark earlier was spot on I think. The same kernel
> works just fine if loaded by the same grub (from pkgsrc -
> grub-0.97nb5) if I use the chainloader option:

I don't think Quentin remark was correct. I was successfully booting
NetBSD with GRUB (without chainloading) at least in 1.6. Also, I remember
that some patches to improve this support were added to pkgsrc quite
recently.

To use it, you would need:

- use a command lile kernel --type=netbsd <path> in grub,
- probably a kernel compiled without MULTIBOOT.

Chainloading is a better option though.

Pavel