Subject: Re: CARP Committed (correctly presented)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/2006 10:18:45
On 18-May-06, at 10:12 AM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> I'm not familiar with keepalived, but what CARP does is to present a
> separate floating MAC address common to all the redundant
> interfaces to
> the upstream, so failover occurs as soon as the carp-implementing
> interfaces decide amongst themselves that it should.

That seems like it would have the same problem then.  The upstream
switch will still have associated the virtual mac address with a
physical port and the only way it will know the mac address has moved
to a different physical port is to wait for some sort of traffic from
the new master.  Though I'm just talking out of my posterior orifice
at this point... Maybe this works better in practice.