Subject: Re: Promise SATA300 TX4 controller
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2006 19:46:26
On 5/16/06, Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> markr@cat.co.za said:
> >  it seems that once the promise controller is  registered the primary
> > drive on the promise controller seems to  become mapped as the boot
> > drive
>
> I don't think so:
> > atabus3 at pdcsata0 channel 3
> > wd0 at atabus3 drive 0: <WDC WD2500JD-00HBC0>
> > atabus4 at piixide0 channel 0
> > wd1 at atabus4 drive 0: <WDC WD2000JD-00HBB0>
> > boot device: wd1
> > root on wd1a dumps on wd1b
>
> wd1 is on the onboard controller.
>
> > What is the best way to resolve this ?
>
> Either use /dev/wd1* in /etc/fstab, or wire your primary disk
> to wd0 by some lines in your kernel config file like
> atabus0 at piixide0 channel 0
> wd0 at atabus0

I have a similar problem on -current - I boot from a SCSI disk, known
usually as sd0; if an external firewire disk is conected during boot,
*sometimes* (I haven't been able to find out exactly when, but it
happens occasionally) it gets recognized by the kernel as sd0, leaving
the system disk as sd1; the boot obviously fails at this stage; I have
to turn off/disconnect the external device in such ocasions.

No bother, though. I might recomile the kernel with the above fix
sometimes to try it.

> best regards
> Matthias

Chavdar