Subject: Re: RFC: moving src/common to src/sys/common (with patch)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/2006 00:55:08
In article <20060509233843.GC23065@phi.internal.fnop.net>,
Rui Paulo  <rpaulo@fnop.net> wrote:
>On 2006.05.09 23:33:30 +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the kernel build -current-ly includes the directory src/common. This means
>> that it is no longer sufficient to check out src/sys to build the kernel.
>> Also maintaining it with revision control tools is more complicated. (For
>> example, if one wants to mirror the repository of kernel sources, it is
>> impossible to mirror just one directory in the repository.)
>>
>> For those reasons, I would like to move src/common to src/sys/common.
>
>I thought they were placed in src/common because they can be shared
>by the kernel and by the userland.
>
>What's the problem with mirroring two directories instead of one ?

Nothing. Because people have complained that they might forget.
The fact of the matter is that the majority of people mirror the
whole tree these days, and src/common is one of the most stable
parts of the tree.

What about config and genassym? Should those be moved in sys too, since
they need to match the kernel?

Why not just make a cvs module that includes all the parts that the kernel
needs?

christos