Subject: Re: RFC: moving src/common to src/sys/common (with patch)
To: None <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz,>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/2006 22:02:46
Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:55:08AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
>> In article <20060509233843.GC23065@phi.internal.fnop.net>,
>> Rui Paulo  <rpaulo@fnop.net> wrote:

>>> I thought they were placed in src/common because they can be shared
>>> by the kernel and by the userland.
>>>
>>> What's the problem with mirroring two directories instead of one ?
>>>
>> Nothing. Because people have complained that they might forget.
>> The fact of the matter is that the majority of people mirror the
>> whole tree these days, and src/common is one of the most stable
>> parts of the tree.
>>

> Maybe, but I think people often check out and compile kernel sources only.
> E.g. users of the stable releases.
>
> Making a feature branch of only the kernel is also easier if the kernel is
> contained in one directory.
>

>> What about config and genassym? Should those be moved in sys too, since
>> they need to match the kernel?
>>

> No, because you do not need to check them out to compile a kernel.
>
> I already mentioned users of stable binary releases. Another use case is
> to check-out the whole tree and build the tools, but do it only once and
> check-out the kernel source multiple times to be able to work on multiple
> features. Having more directories is quite inconvenient in this case.
>
> Pavel

Heh.   I frequently only *update* src/sys.  This of course bit me in the
arse with the latest proplib changes.  So I updated everything.
Importing gcc4 took a couple of hours for each tree I had to do it for
(two copies for different projects.)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191