Subject: Re: Using binary packages on -current
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2006 11:47:24
Greg Troxel wrote:
> build, or build them all from source.  If the binaries are built for
> your NetBSD branch, then you can mix binaries with builds from the
> same pkgsrc branch.  In that case, you'll run into trouble if pkgsrc

Hmm ... what you're saying seems to reinforce what crossed my mind
just as I fell asleep, that the clean solution might be to run
'make bin-install' under a pkg_comp jail with NETBSD_RELEASE set
to the last release branch, so it will pick up binary packages from
that release if available, and build from source to match. Is that
something others are doing? The more I think about it the more it
sounds like that's the ticket.

If that's the answer, there should probably be something prominent
about it in the Guide (which maybe I can add someday, after getting
used to the docbook stuff). Guide probably also needs more re:
estimating disk space needed for an installation, which for -current
would then include the space for a chroot jail where pkg_comp extracts
all the distribution sets for the last release....

That plus installing the older shlibs in the real (non-jail) tree.

Perhaps those could be made available in a pkg (or syspkg?), even
one automagically kept up to date by a script that notices changes
to shlib_versions.

-Chap