Subject: Re: Large disk support in NetBSD, is it hard to do and is anyone working on it?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2006 10:41:25
--SWTRyWv/ijrBap1m

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 08:35:58PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
  | 	Does anyone have any suggested work arounds for how to create logical
  | disks larger than  2.1TB?  Also, should I file a bug on this one or is it a
  | well known enough problem that it will get taken care of sooner or later?

Implement code to:

    *	Use Global Partition Tables (GPTs) (AKA "EFI label") instead of
	the disklabel (or disklabel-on-MBR) we currently use.
	I believe FreeBSD has done some work in this area.

    *	Autoconfig wedges on top of GPT partitions (as well as
	"legacy" disklabel partitions).

    *	Add support for wedges instead of (as well as?) disklabel partitions.

Other people have worked on some or all of these problems in the past;
there's probably discussions on the tech-* lists about it
(especially wedges).

--SWTRyWv/ijrBap1m

--SWTRyWv/ijrBap1m--