Subject: Re: GeForce2 MX, vesa XFree86 driver and "Not using mode "1280x1024" (no mode of this name)"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2006 17:18:02
It occurred to me that Brian A. Seklecki wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Joel CARNAT wrote:
>
>> this worked well, thank you :)
>> is there anything to do to get 24bpp with VESA or is this hardcoded in
>
> You're going to have a hard time noticing the difference between 24bpp and
> 16bpp on any monitor worth connecting to a GeForce2 MX.

What kind of crap attitude is this?

A GeForce2 MX is a great videocard, assuming that all you're really interested
in is 2D. Considering that there's NO support for 3D in NetBSD *whatsoever*,
I'd say that this is a valid assumption. Any recent nVidia card is no better.

I used a GeForce2 MX until a few months ago, at which point I upgraded to an
amd64 machine (Which didn't have AGP slots). I currently use a PCI-E radeon
card (So it just *HAS* to be l33t!), which has a *considerably* worse video
quality.

So really, put your l33tism where the sun don't shine. It's unappropriate.