Subject: Re: Large disk support in NetBSD, is it hard to do and is anyone working on it?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2006 21:57:01
	I don't think that will work.  Here's where I think my trouble is.
The d_secperunit field in the disklabel structure, see below, is a 32-bit
field.  That means that when raidframe is summing up all of the sectors in
the raid set, it wraps and starts over when it constructs the raid label
for the final raid set.  Since my first writing, I've confirmed that this
is happening by re-writing the disklabels for the component disks to insure
that the total sector count for the combined raid set doesn't exceed 2^32
sectors.  Now, the numbers in the disklabel for the raid look right, and ffs
does the right thing when newfs runs.
	From what I can tell, it's not possible to have any logical disk be
larger than 2^32 sectors in size under NetBSD.  At least, not one which
uses a disk label.  Am I mistaken here?
-Brian

/*	$NetBSD: disklabel.h,v 1.90 2005/01/07 18:29:15 matt Exp $	*/
[ ... ]
#ifndef _LOCORE
struct disklabel {
 [ ... ]
			/* disk geometry: */
	u_int32_t d_secsize;		/* # of bytes per sector */
	u_int32_t d_nsectors;		/* # of data sectors per track */
	u_int32_t d_ntracks;		/* # of tracks per cylinder */
	u_int32_t d_ncylinders;		/* # of data cylinders per unit */
	u_int32_t d_secpercyl;		/* # of data sectors per cylinder */
	u_int32_t d_secperunit;		/* # of data sectors per unit */