Subject: Re: recent instability
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus200604@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2006 11:07:35
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> Two days ago, I upgraded to 3.99.18 from 17 April.  Since then, my laptop
> has frozen once and spontaneously rebooted once.  Has anyone else seen
> that sort of instability?

I just upgraded two days ago also and the first reboot with the new
kernel had a hang at boot / device probe time (during or right after
probing my cmpi sound card).  The previous month-old kernel had no
such problems.

As an aside userland didn't compile due to a problem in
/usr.sbin/ndiscvt, and another CVS update the yesterday produced a
kernel that didn't hang at probe time.

There is also another weirdness where some recent change in either the
netbsd NFS client code or the openbsd server code caused NFS exports
to permanently hang when netbsd is viewing a directory exported on
openbsd with a large number of files (~420) in it.  The only way to
get that NFS subtree unstuck is to reboot the server side machine.

Due to the flurry of mozilla, xorg, xpdf security holes I felt that I
had no choice but to upgrade all the way around.

-wolfgang