Subject: Re: Issue 50 of the NetBSD CVS Digest is out.
To: thilo <jeremias@optushome.com.au>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2006 15:04:02
thilo wrote:

> I somewhat disagree with that! Coverity uses the exposure in the
> public for open source project to their benefit.
> THEY will claim who usefull their software is (not that I disagree to
> this statement), but it is really for their own benefit.
>
> As they are selling and get the money.

They are giving us something for free.  They have motives as well, of
course.  But if it is hard for them, they will just not do it.

The only argument I can see is that we could try to claim that they are
using the NetBSD name without permission.  I doubt that would even hold
up, because of the combined considerations of Fair Use and the very
liberal terms of our own license.

In essence, I don't think they (Coverity) need to do anything at all for
us if they don't want to.  If they can be convinced as to how it is
worth their while, then by all means...

But otherwise, can we please stop looking this gift horse in the mouth...

    -- Garrett

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191