Subject: Re: netbsd-3: Failed to make release
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2006 19:55:09
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 05:10:42PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <442D2B1C.3060102@eq.cz>,
> 	rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz> writes:
> > I am not able to make release with netbsd-3 branch sources:
>
> I've run a full release of NetBSD-i386 using source from the "netbsd-3"
> yesterday and it completed without problems.
>
> > Free space in last tar block: boot 420, netbsd 507,
> > buildfloppies.sh: Image is 2555 bytes (2 KB) too big to fit on 1 disk
> > *** [boot-tiny1.fs] Error code 1
> > 1 error
>
> The usual cause for such problems is trying to build a release with
> custom optimizations e.g. "-march=athlon-tbird" which results in
> larger binaries produced by GCC.

Isn't that a good reason to strip the value of CPU_FLAGS from CFLAGS
and CXXFLAGS in the floppies directory ?

(devel/cpuflags, probably the most widely used source of cpu dependant
optimization stuffs its values for the arch/cpu in CPU_FLAGS)

Just an off-the-top-of-my-head thought, not sure whether that would
help or whether rudolf's solution (only use cpuflags for pkgsrc) is
the 'correct' one. Probably somewhere in between...

Regards,

-Martin