Subject: Re: Automatically bumping device numbers
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2006 00:21:42
--iBwuxWUsK/REspAd

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:11:23PM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:59:28 -0800
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> wrote:

~~~~

> > As far as ifconfig, ifconfig behaves that way (needing -a to show all
> > interfaces) on other operating systems as well.  For example, without
> > arguments, ifconfig on Solaris shows a help message, just as on NetBSD.
> >=20
> > I would vote *against* changing that behavior of ifconfig.    The help
> > message for ifconfig may actually be useful to some folks.
>=20
> We already have ifconfig -h and man ifconfig...
> To be honest it's pretty annoying if one has to type -a when simple ifcon=
fig
> could do the same thing.
>=20
> Marcin=20

I actually find the non-NetBSD method annoying, and I've learned that when
I want approx. what net-tools does, I do a `ifconfig -uav`.

NetBSD has had most of the features of iproute2 in ifconfig and route
for a long time.  And it seems that Linux is moving away from
ifconfig and route rather than fixing them to be useful.

I'd hate to see NetBSD loose its distinctive (and most often sensible)
character.  (In other words, I dislike change, but I seem to always be
pleasantly surprised by the way NetBSD implements them (for example,
OpenPAM is hardly noticeable))

Anyway that's my small fraction of a kilodollar.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--iBwuxWUsK/REspAd

--iBwuxWUsK/REspAd--