Subject: Automatically bumping device numbers
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/2006 21:39:14
Hi guys.

Testing the CARP patch of Liam I noticed that creating
of new devices like bridge or carp requires giving them a
specific number, i.e bridge0 or carp0.
I was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to have
the device numbers being bumped up automatically like on
FreeBSD if numbers are not explicitly given.
So ifconfig carp create would create carp0 and running
the command again would create carp1, etc.
Is there any reason for this not being implemented?
One more thing that must be a heritage from the past is
ifconfig which needs -a flag to show all the network devices
instead of just ifconfig. Is there any reason for that too?

Cheers,
Marcin.